I don't know, but I've been told, it's hard to run with the weight of gold,
Other hand I've heard it said, it's just as hard with the weight of lead.
- The Grateful Dead
The long journey of completing an M&A transaction is over and now your work begins.
You are responsible for the Sales Operations of the newly combined sales force. The great news is that you have a larger team. Your challenge is that you also have more products, constantly evolving changes and the need to make sure that everyone has what they need to be successful.
Under normal conditions, it takes 3-4 quarters before a sales team is effective. And let's be clear: this is not a normal condition. Yet you still need to make sure that you get to an efficiency level that is sustainable in a reasonable time. Every month makes a difference - let alone a quarter.
The cultural challenges are unique to the two companies involved, but the remaining issues are common to any such situation.
- How do you get the relevant information to the sales rep while they are in the sales process?
- How do you train them on all of the combined offerings?
- How do you make sure they sell the right product in the right situation?
- How do you inform them of products that being phased out?
- How do inform them of new products that are being introduced?